Thursday, 15 December 2016

INPUT AND OUTPUT













   Input and output












 Introduction
     In this blog I will discuss on input/output procedures&devices .External device are not generally connected directly int the bus structure of the computer.I/O module is an interface for the external devices (peripherals) to CPU and memory.










Input device

• Mouse
• ScanKeyboardner
• CD-Rom
• Game Controller
 



Output device

• Monitor
• Printers
• Disk Drive
• Floppy Drive
• CDRW-Rom
• Speakers

 


External device

• Modem
• NIC
• MONITOR

 








A model i/o configuration








Function of I/O modules

• Control and Timing. 
• CPU Communicating. 
• Device Communication. 
• Data Buffering. 
• Error Detection.




Control and Timing

• CPU asks I/O module to check the status of attached device. 
• I/O module tells the status. 
• CPU requests for data transfer to I/O module if device is ready. 
• I/O module gathers the data and transfers to the CPU.

Cpu Communication

• Command Decoding : Like read/write seek etc. Data 
Exchange between CPU and Module. Status reporting to CPU, since 
peripherals are slow. Address recognition for the devices connected 
to it. 


Device Communication

• Device Communication : This may involves command, status 
information and data transfer. 

Data Buffering

• Data Buffering :  Essential function to overcome speed mismatch. 

Error Detection.

• Error Detection : Like paper jam, bad data etc.


TECHNIQUES OF I/O
• Programmed I/O : The CPU issues a command then waits for I/O 
operations to be complete. The CPU is faster than the I/O module 
then method is wasteful. 
• Interrupt Driven I/O : The CPU issues commands then proceeds 
with its normal work until interrupted by I/O device on completion 
of its work. 
• DMA : In this CPU and I/O Module exchange data without 
involvement of CPU. 
• Memory mapped I/O : Memory and I/O are treated as memory 
only. It means no signal like IO/M. 
Isolated I/O  : Address space of memory and I/O is isolated. 
It uses IO/M  signal


Interrupts l/0
• CPU interrupt request line triggered by I/O devices
• Interrupt handler receives interrupt
• Maskable to ignore or delay some interrupts
• Interrupt vector to dispatch interrupt to correct handler
Based on priorty
Some unmaskable
• Interrupt mechanism also used for exceptions









Interrupt Processing




Interrupt driven I/O cycle









Evolution OF The I/O Funtion

1) CPU directly controls a peripheral device.
2) Use controller or i/o module.
3) Implement interrupts.
4) i/o module is given direct access to memory via DMA
5) i/o module is enhanced to become a processor
6) i/o module has a local memory of its own


Direct Memory Access

• Special Purpose Processor: DMA controller
• Free CPU from pure data transfer tasks
• DMA access: Pointer to source, destination and size of data issued to start transfer
• Processor writes the data DMA access data and continuous working
• Handshake protocol
• DMA request and DMA acknowledge
• DMA controllers are standard components in PCs
• Bus-mastering I/O hardware contain their own DMA hardware

DMA function

• Additional modul (hardware) on bus
• DMA controller takes over from CPU for I/O















DMA Transfer







I/O Transfer Mode

Serial
o In band signaling
o Bit oriented
o Bit/byte word translation

Parallel
o Byte word oriented
o Out of band signaling
o IDE, SCSI



SERIAL TRANSFER

• Asynchronous Clocking
o Master clock the transfer
o Slave derive clock from master

• Synchronous clocking
o Independent clocking
o Verification by synchronization pattern

PARALLEL TRANSFER

• Data transfer
o Read sector
o Write sector

• Control
o Disk seek

• Transfer Integrity
o Transfer parity
o Data encoding




0 comments:

Post a Comment