Thursday 15 December 2016

INPUT AND OUTPUT













   Input and output












 Introduction
     In this blog I will discuss on input/output procedures&devices .External device are not generally connected directly int the bus structure of the computer.I/O module is an interface for the external devices (peripherals) to CPU and memory.










Input device

Mouse
ScanKeyboardner
CD-Rom
Game Controller
 



Output device

Monitor
Printers
Disk Drive
Floppy Drive
CDRW-Rom
Speakers

 


External device

Modem
NIC
MONITOR

 








A model i/o configuration








Function of I/O modules

Control and Timing. 
CPU Communicating. 
Device Communication. 
Data Buffering. 
Error Detection.




Control and Timing

CPU asks I/O module to check the status of attached device. 
I/O module tells the status. 
CPU requests for data transfer to I/O module if device is ready. 
I/O module gathers the data and transfers to the CPU.

Cpu Communication

Command Decoding : Like read/write seek etc. Data 
Exchange between CPU and Module. Status reporting to CPU, since 
peripherals are slow. Address recognition for the devices connected 
to it. 


Device Communication

Device Communication : This may involves command, status 
information and data transfer. 

Data Buffering

Data Buffering :  Essential function to overcome speed mismatch. 

Error Detection.

Error Detection : Like paper jam, bad data etc.


TECHNIQUES OF I/O
Programmed I/O : The CPU issues a command then waits for I/O 
operations to be complete. The CPU is faster than the I/O module 
then method is wasteful. 
Interrupt Driven I/O : The CPU issues commands then proceeds 
with its normal work until interrupted by I/O device on completion 
of its work. 
DMA : In this CPU and I/O Module exchange data without 
involvement of CPU. 
Memory mapped I/O : Memory and I/O are treated as memory 
only. It means no signal like IO/M. 
Isolated I/O  : Address space of memory and I/O is isolated. 
It uses IO/M  signal


Interrupts l/0
CPU interrupt request line triggered by I/O devices
Interrupt handler receives interrupt
Maskable to ignore or delay some interrupts
Interrupt vector to dispatch interrupt to correct handler
Based on priorty
Some unmaskable
Interrupt mechanism also used for exceptions









Interrupt Processing




Interrupt driven I/O cycle









Evolution OF The I/O Funtion

1) CPU directly controls a peripheral device.
2) Use controller or i/o module.
3) Implement interrupts.
4) i/o module is given direct access to memory via DMA
5) i/o module is enhanced to become a processor
6) i/o module has a local memory of its own


Direct Memory Access

Special Purpose Processor: DMA controller
Free CPU from pure data transfer tasks
DMA access: Pointer to source, destination and size of data issued to start transfer
Processor writes the data DMA access data and continuous working
Handshake protocol
DMA request and DMA acknowledge
DMA controllers are standard components in PCs
Bus-mastering I/O hardware contain their own DMA hardware

DMA function

Additional modul (hardware) on bus
DMA controller takes over from CPU for I/O















DMA Transfer







I/O Transfer Mode

Serial
o In band signaling
o Bit oriented
o Bit/byte word translation

Parallel
o Byte word oriented
o Out of band signaling
o IDE, SCSI



SERIAL TRANSFER

Asynchronous Clocking
o Master clock the transfer
o Slave derive clock from master

Synchronous clocking
o Independent clocking
o Verification by synchronization pattern

PARALLEL TRANSFER

Data transfer
o Read sector
o Write sector

Control
o Disk seek

Transfer Integrity
o Transfer parity
o Data encoding




0 comments:

Post a Comment